Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Cultura: Frida Kahlo

Guadalupe and Frida ... probably the two most recognized images of Mexico. Guadalupe has been around for hundreds of years ... maybe thousands if you go back to her indigenous roots. 

However, Frida was born in 1907 and didn't become a phenomenon until relatively recently. 

Why is she so popular and 
such a powerful, haunting  image?

It's a question that has haunted me so I decided to explore her life and art as part of my Spanish journey. 

Enjoy seeing some photos and lesser known art from her life.

out loud!
Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo Calderón, Nacida: 1907 Coyoacán, Ciudad de México, Murió: 1954

“Te amo más que mi propia piel. ”


                                 Muchas pinturas de Frida Kahlo 
                              son sobre su vida con Diego Rivera. 
                          Aquí él está en la posición del tercer ojo.

¿Cuántas criaturas puedes ver?
1926 - enviado a su amante (no a Diego).
A la edad de seis años contrató polio 
                              que la dejó con el pie derecho torcido.

“Dos Fridas” - 1939
                                     "Pies, ¿para qué te necesito
                                   cuando tengo alas para volar?" 
 
Autorretrato con cabello suelto, 1947

                    Pintado después de su cirugía de la espalda. En 1991, 
                   esta pintura se vendió por $ 1,650,000 dólares. 
           En la película FRIDA Salma Hayek, interpretó  el rol de Frida.

The Love Embrace of the Universe, the Earth, Myself, Diego and      Senor Xolotl, 1949 

Celebra la resolución final del matrimonio de Riveras.  
Aquí, Frida es la madre tierra / Madonna que cuida al bebé 
que nunca podría tener, su "Dieguito".

Un terrible
accidente a los 19 años.


"Sin Esperanza" - 1945
                     
Ha habido dos grandes accidentes en mi vida.
                            Uno era el carro, y el otro era Diego.
                               Diego fue por mucho el peor .”

"El Ciervo Herido" - 1946 
                         “Me pinto autorretratos porque a menudo
                               estoy solo, porque soy la persona
                                        que mejor conozco.” 

Su obra más grande que desapareció 
hace más de setenta años.


                                       1953 - Ella asistió a su
                                 primera exposición individual
                                               en México
                                    en una cama, con una
                                        pierna amputada.


Process Disclaimer: These stories of places I've explored are written as part of my Spanish language journey. Therefore, they are most likely flawed. My process is to write the stories in Spanish, using the language I have at the time ... occasionally finding a new word in Google Translate (GT) when needed. My new words are highlighted so I can add them to my study list.

After writing a paragraph, I put the Spanish into Google Translate to see if the English represents what I'm trying to say. If it does, I then copy and paste it into the left column and change the language to English. That gives me GT's take on what the Spanish should be. This is where I start to learn by comparing the two versions and asking myself why they are different. The result of this comparison and any changes that come out of it is what you see here.

I am working with a coach who will also check these pages. When he has deemed them correct, I will add the word (verified) to the title.


No comments:

Post a Comment