Thursday, June 11, 2020

ADD1: Let the 90 day, learning Spanish challenge begin!

Actually, I am not a competitive person ... however, If I do this, I'll be in it to win ...
not only the satisfaction of breaking through some language barriers 
which have been holding me back,
but also THE prize offered by the designers of this challenge.

Think about it: who would expect a 74-year-old woman
with a 45-year track record of failing at learning Spanish
to win any kind of Spanish-related challenge?

The prizes aren't spectacular ... the real attraction for me would be
saying: if I can do it, you could do it.

So, how hard is this ADD1 Challenge? The final challenge, for me, is fairly easy: hold AND VIDEO a 15-minute conversation with a native Spanish speaker. I've been working at Spanish for quite awhile and think I've clawed my way into the low-intermediate level. 

It hasn't been pretty, I've dropped out of more classes and courses than most people ever even contemplate. I've spent more time studying adult learning processes and how other people learned the language than I have actually focused on all the normal language stuff ... you know, verb conjugations, grammar, ... talking, etc.

Finally, I have begun to talk and I'm confident that I will be able to hold a 15-minute ... or even 30-minute ... conversation if I stay focused for 90 days. The scary part is making 4 videos of the process and fulfilling all the assignments and challenges along the way ... as well as simply staying focused for 90 days. I'm a grasshopper and something new and interesting shows up almost every day.

(Somehow, I think the designers of this challenge 
have dealt with people like me ... 
we have to check in EVERY day.)

 6/2/2020 UPDATE

Not sure when I wrote the above ... probably April, 2019, before life changed and I moved from Mexico to Reno and wasn't sure where learning Spanish stood on my list of priorities.

I had already paid my money and the ADD1 Challenge folks were very good about keeping me posted on the next challenges in case I was ready to jump back in. (In between challenges, registration is closed.) I talked to them a month or so ago and decided I still wasn't ready.

Today, I sent them a note asking for the date of the next challenge so I could put it on my calendar. Oops! This one was still open and I had to decide by tomorrow.

I dithered. My heart palpitated. I didn't want to do it now ... I wanted to do it later! 

 Finally, I just took a deep breath, said yes, and jumped in with both feet.

It starts June 8 and we're still dealing with the corona quarantine so I have lots of time.
I can't think of a single good reason not to say yes, other than fear.
So, here we go. I'll put weekly updates here. 


Quiero disfrutar mi vida


Junio 11, 2020: Más cambios

A veces lo toma mucho tiempo a comprender por qué. Por qué hacemos que hacemos. Ahora estoy participando en un grand desfïo. Noventa días para aprender suficiente tener una conversación de quince minutos con un hablante natívo. Creía que lo necesitaba para hablar español finalmente. Así me apunté con la determinación a hacerlo en sus manera.

Despues de unos días, me detuve y me pregunté por qué tenía tanto prisa. Esta es la pregunta que me hice:

Comó me quiero sentir al final de este desfío?

No estoy haciendo este desfío para cualquiera otra persona. Solamente para mí. Para mi mismo y para mis propias razones. Las razónes principales para esto desfío, para mí, son la disciplina y la atención enfocada.

Me acabo de dar cuenta de que, para mí, el capaz hablar en español no es lo único importante. También quiero entender profundamente la idioma y la cultura y por qué quiero aprender español tan mucho.

Es verdad, me gusta mucho aprender, y no necesito tener muchas conversaciónes inmediatamente. Tengo tiempo para disfrutar el viaje y no sentirme estresada. Quiero comenzar hablar un poco a poco, cuando es fácil y interesante. Soy una mujer de setenta y cuatro años y puedo hacerlo en mi propia manera.

No necesito tener prisa. Esto no es una carrera. Este desfio es importante, pero solo por mis propios motivos. Por supuesto, necesito endender cúales esas razones.

Este desfío me ayudará comprender mi mismo motivación para aprender español. Quiero usar el tiempo con cuidado. Cuando escribo, entiendo más sobre por qué el español es importante para mí. Entonces, necesito escriber aún más de lo que necesito tener conversaciónes. Las conversaciónes vendrén más tarde. Espero.

Qué quiero

Quiero poder hablar mucho mejor.
Quiero saber más sobre la idioma y la cultura.
Quiero que mi alma sea más grande y muy ligera.
Quiero sentir la poesía que me ha tocado.
No quiero sentirme como una fracasa.
No quiero sentir que esto era trabajo.
Quiero sentirme bien conmigo mismo.
Quiero sentir que esto era divertido.
Quiero sentir cómo sé más sobre el Universo.
Quiero sentirme fuerte y capaz de todo.
Quiero que el mundo se abra a mí.

Quiero que estos noventa días me inspiren.
Quiero que estos días enciendan una vela que brillare para siempre.
Quiero sentir que acabo de comenzar un nuevo viaje de mi vida.


No comments:

Post a Comment